A GOOD NEW YEAR TO ONE AND ALL
Hope you unfold new horizons, harbour new hopes and rediscover the strength within you to bring in positive changes with the unfolding of the New Year and new decade 2020.
Sima Hall Pagoda Construction
Vietnamese Community Fundraiser
Members of Sydney’s Vietnamese Buddhist community came together earlier this year for a Bodhi Tree fundraising evening. It was a very successful night, the benefits of which will help us to make a start of the building of our new retreat complex.
Ven. Pannyavaro and the Bodhi Tree Retreat Centre team wish to thank all the volunteers who organised the night and the Vietnamese community for its generous support.
2020 – is our 14th Year at Bodhi Tree!
A National Geographic book: “Sacred Places of a Life Time – 500 of the World’s Most Peaceful and Powerful Destinations” includes Bodhi Tree Forest Monastery.
Click link to view the Bodhi Tree section
Guests at the opening of the Sima Hall, being the 1st stage of Bodhi Tree’s Retreat Complex, with Ven. Pannyavaro and distinguished guest Venerable Wei Wu from Than Hsiang Temple Penang.
What we’re doing at Bodhi Tree
- We’ve been busy planting trees – totalling approximately 8,500 rainforest trees, koala food trees, fruit and nut orchards.
- Extensively upgrading the retreat facilities and clearing and reforesting the land.
- Built a “contact database” – which will allow us to update past meditators on the latest news.
- Dedication of Bodhi Tree Retreat centre by Venerable Sayadaw U Janaka as a Satipatthana Vipassana Retreat Centre.
- Dedication Ceremony of the Shwedagon Pagoda Replica
- Consecrated the Sima boundary, which allows us to conduct onsite ordinations and finished the Sima Hall build
- Finished our dedicated Disabled accommodation unit in the new Vipassana retreat complex – the first of forty-four units to be built.
- Running a series of Mindfulness Meditation Workshops at the end of most months.
- Restarted the 10-day Vipassana Retreats for 2020.
Here are Bodhi Tree’s flowering rainforest trees and scrubs for your appreciation
Volunteer Positions Vacant
Bodhi Tree Forest Monastery (located 7 minutes from Lismore, NSW) is seeking two lay supporters to help with land care and general operations of the Centre. In return, volunteers will be offered free accommodation in a peaceful and natural setting, conducive for meditation practice.
These roles offer a great service to the Bodhi Tree community and in return, volunteers will live in a quiet, meditative atmosphere, located in beautiful, peaceful surrounds and have access to an extensive Buddhist library.
Please note: anyone applying for either role must attend the 6:30 am – 7:00 am group meditation practice in the hall.
The following volunteer positions are currently vacant as of January, 2020 (Please be sure that you can make a commitment)
Our immediate need is for fit people – 2 male or females to help maintain 95 acres of land: mowing, weeding, tree planting, and bush regeneration. Skills would include mowing, tractor slashing, chainsaw work, etc.
Knowledge of vegetarian cooking and nutrition essential. Preparing, when required, breakfast and lunch for occasional visiting meditators, and lunch for Ven Pannyavaro daily. This role finishes in the early afternoon (after lunch cleanup). These hours can be flexible. In addition maintenance and planting out of the kitchen garden would be appreciated.
– cooking of basic vegetarian foods
– sound hygiene practices
– driver’s license
– purchase of food supplies in Lismore
– ensure visitor’s room is clean before and after the guest visit;
– greet guests and supply necessary items if needed
– take care of washing and airing of guest bedding